Welcome to Soup E. Doup. In this blog you will find recipes, helpful tips and suggestions for making some amazing soups, which will warm your belly and your soul.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Shopping List for Maria's "Everything but the Kitchen Sink Chicken and Vegetable Soup"

Thanks so much for the great feedback on my first featured recipe the Roasted Squash and Sweet Potato soup. Many of you sang the soup's praises, but there was one common comment that made me think about the way I will be structuring this blog from now on and that was, "The recipe looked so good, I wanted to make it right then but didn't have any of the ingredients."

Thus, a new idea has emerged.  I'm going to try to give you all at least one, hopefully two new recipes each week.  What I will do is the day before I post a video, I will let you know what tomorrow's soup will be and include a shopping list.  This way if you are an impulsive souper, like myself, you can have all your ingredients on-hand and make the soup when the video is hot-off-the-press.

Alas, my fellow soupers, tomorrow's soup is a recipe of my own called Everything but the Kitchen Sink Chicken and Vegetable Soup.  It is healthy, quick and easy and it feeds a lot of people.  Most importantly, you can customize this one to your liking so you can't go wrong.  Here's what you need to shop for:

1 package of chicken (I normally get the chicken tenders.)
1 large carton of chicken broth (32 or 48 oz will do)
Assortment of fresh and/or canned veggies including left overs.  Pick anything and everything you like.  I used:
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 can of artichoke quartered artichoke hearts
1 bag of 4 parsnips
1 purple turnip
1 onion
1 bag of celery
1 bag of baby carrots
left over butter parsley potatoes (probably about 6 small red potatoes and 1 Idaho potato)
Assortment of spices and seasonings.  I used:
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 handful of curly parsley
1 handful of Italian parsley
1/2 handful of lemon basil
6 cloves of garlic
1 dry bay leaf
sea salt and pepper to taste (probably 1/2 tsp. each)
juice of 1/2 of a lemon

Note:  There are two ways that you can do this soup.  The soup that I will be making tomorrow has a chicken broth base and consistency, but if you would rather have more of a tomato flavor to your soup, you can also add a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes, which will create a thicker tomato-based broth.  It will also make a lot more soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment